Question

Comedy and Wasting Time

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:00 am

UBC vs. SFU Business Programs

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering what you all thought of Sauder School of Business (UBC) vs. Beedie School of Business (SFU). My own impression is that Sauder is much better than Beedie, but that is mostly based on the prestige of UBC overall. However, after reading many other forums, I am beginning to doubt my opinion because so many others say that Beedie is in fact better than Sauder. I'm going to have to make a decision soon, so I was wondering what you all thought were high points and low points of both schools, and which one you think is better. Thanks so much for any help :)

Asked by sonyakk2865142

uThink Member

7 answers

Pick whichever school fits your needs the best. Don't bandwagon.

assiu704125

uThink Member

@SonyaK wroteHey Everyone,

I was wondering what you all thought of Sauder School of Business (UBC) vs. Beedie School of Business (SFU). My own impression is that Sauder is much better than Beedie, but that is mostly based on the prestige of UBC overall. However, after reading many other forums, I am beginning to doubt my opinion because so many others say that Beedie is in fact better than Sauder. I'm going to have to make a decision soon, so I was wondering what you all thought were high points and low points of both schools, and which one you think is better. Thanks so much for any help :)
I am exactly in the same boat as you struggling with the same problem.
+1 Bump.

I'm actually leaning towards Beedie at the moment... too many (personal) reasons to list.
You can PM me.

kennyleung_lcl1848618

uThink Member

@MyTi36x wrote@SonyaK wroteHey Everyone,

I am exactly in the same boat as you, facing the same problem.
+1 Bump.

I'm actually leaning towards Beedie at the moment...
To be honest, 5 minutes ago when I posted this I was leaning towards Sauder, but after reading even more forums, I'm kind of going more towards Beedie because apparently they have a good Co-op Program? Idk if this is true or if it's just a biased opinion.

sonyakk2865142

uThink Member

I have heard from different people that Beedie is much better than Sauder. But because Sauder is entitled to the name UBC, it's overlooked as a better university than SFU. Also, the commute to SFU is a lot more extensive than UBC, which is another reason people downgrade SFU as a lower ranked school. However, the classes, from that I heard, are better than Sauder.

ask701957

uThink Member

@SonyaK wrote@MyTi36x wrote@SonyaK wroteHey Everyone,

I am exactly in the same boat as you, facing the same problem.
+1 Bump.

I'm actually leaning towards Beedie at the moment...
To be honest, 5 minutes ago when I posted this I was leaning towards Sauder, but after reading even more forums, I'm kind of going more towards Beedie because apparently they have a good Co-op Program? Idk if this is true or if it's just a biased opinion.
Yes, it is true.

assiu704125

uThink Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 am

Ok. I have 3 midterms in 5 days but I am taking a break so I'll try to answer your questions. I went through the application process last yr as a student in Vancouver and applied to SFU and UBC as well so I know a bit about both schools.

In terms of lifestyle, UBC has its own dorm and it is only 20 min away from downtown. The student life I imagin would be like any other universities; SFU on the other hand are mainly a commuter school. The school spirit is argueably not as high because of this and you get trapped in the mountains during winter snowing days. But if you are looking to commute/go to school closer to home, SFU has an edge.

In terms of the business program, from my friends in Sauder and Beedie, the general consensus is that Sauder has a stronger accounting program (Beedie also has good amounts hired into big 4).

Beedie's co-op program is quite strong in recruiters' eyes and it is strong in HR, marketing, international business and etc. Oh yeah, it appearantly won the academic school of the year or something.

In terms of finance, I can't say for sure which school has better opportunities at entry level finance jobs (ie financial analyst at reputable firm), but I know that UBC Portfolio Management Fund has consistently put 4-6 kids every year in high finance jobs (investment banking). Those spots are highly competitive though.

Best of luck in your decision. You can msg me if you have any further questions but I might take a while to respond. Also, don't forget to search the forum about any questions you have. I can say that 90% of studentaward questions have been asked and answered before.

kingjames4ever1874996

uThink Member

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:00 am

I'm someone who is also faced with this dilemma...I have to choose whether its worth to try to transfer into Sauder 2nd year or just go to Beedie for my first year. At first I had my heart set on going to UBC arts then transfer, but I'm thinking that I should reconsider.

I'm having an extremely difficult time distinguishing which school is better for business when people on the East side of Canada ( or even anyone outside of BC) don't consider Beedie as an option for themselves, but people in BC (even people from UBC) say that Beedie is indeed better or even more prestigious than Sauder. Another reason that people say Sauder is better is that UBC is overall a better place to network than SFU.

koudez1901871

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service