Question

Comedy and Wasting Time

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:00 am

Queen's Vs. McMaster for Science

Hello, I am a (pre)grade 12 student and I have decided I am going to apply to Mac and Queens for bio-chem or something along that line.

My average is 96 so assuming I get into the programs I am undecided as to which I would accept.

(For the record, UWO is already off the table :P )

I am undecided between the two schools because of two main factors.

1) Mac is closer to where I live (4 hours vs 7-8 hours at Queens)
2) Queens has (in my opinion) a better reputation.. maybe?

So I just want input from people. Cost isn't an issue, so which would you choose?

Asked by ask701957

uThink Member

4 answers

You should visit both campuses if all possible before you make your decision. You'll be living at school (presumably) for the next couple of years so it's pretty important that you like the social life/campus/food/people etc there.

gvlam.291434245

uThink Member

I've visited both campuses, and found Queens to be beautiful, and the Mac residences to be a little bit smaller, but neither of these are influencing where I go.

I can see myself more at Mac I suppose, but my sister goes to Queens...

ask701957

uThink Member

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:00 am

Hi,
I'm currently a student at McMaster University in the sciences. I'm not sure exactly what programs you've applied for at McMaster (ie Health science, Life science, physical science) as most first year science programs are able to lead towards Biochem. (ps; I'd say McMaster, for science, especially their medical sciences, has a better rep than Queen's, which is why I picked McMaster over Queen's and UWO)

I'm not sure if Queen's has this, but you can also look into a program called Chembio that is at McMaster (second year application), it all depends on what you want more of, Bio, or chem, either way you can decide after first year.

Just a little extra info so you can possibly explore another option that is similar.

If it were me, I would definitely choose Mac. :p

If you want any info about first year or anything, I know a fair amount about most of the science programs, feel free to ask any questions!

le.twible11972631

uThink Member

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:00 am

Both uni's have a really good reputation, and both have those high averages to get in. From my experience however, Mac would be a better choice as it is known for its science programs. Also, Hamilton is an amazing city with so much to do, so it really beats Queens which is located in Kingston in terms of social life. I personally go to U of T, but I know that my friends at Mcmaster have a really good time

harry_soor1459310

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service