Question

Campus Buildings and Amenities

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:00 am

Living on campus

If you needed to convince your parents to let you live away from home, what did you say?

Asked by nabilali004500452342031

uThink Member

9 answers

"Peace out!" Honestly, just explain to them what the program has to offer and why it's an ideal fit for you and the career of your pursuit. A good parent looks out for their child's best interests and it's not like you wouldn't ever be visiting.

etcrbaro171289563

uThink Member

It didn't really matter. I wanted to leave for personal reasons, so I took out a loan and did. A lot of people can do this, and many do. If your parents are physically forcing you to be at home when you don't want to you should reassess your relationship because it's not fully healthy.

trevellyy3060979

uThink Member

Are they footing the bill or are you? That's the biggest factor. But seeing as you'll be an adult, you could just dip at any time if you wanted to either way.

huttonsy1514991

uThink Member

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 am

If you want to have the opprotunity to participate on student teams (can make finding a job/coop much easier), or actitivies, it is easier when you are living on campus. Also living on campus generally allows for more time to study because you don't have to commute everyday.

robertsonmark2632513

uThink Member

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 am

My dad doesn’t mind me staying on campus but my mom is completely against it. Only University near me is York, which is meh, but I’m gonna see once I do my application process. I’m somewhat in the same boat as you

ckhoshou1000475

uThink Member

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:00 am

Your question has been selected to be answeredon #askyconic, This Thursday September 28th at 6 p.m. EST on Facebook Live. Check more details here: http://bit.ly/AskyconicSeptember

nikki2403051

uThink Member

Lol, no one is going to tune in to some bullsh!t live stream just so they can have a question answered that literally takes two seconds to Google.

huttonsy1514991

uThink Member

The answer is actually quite simple. If you're strongly for living on campus, even against your parents' wishes, then as an adult entering the real world and post-secondary education you need to be man/woman enough to support yourself mentally and financially. Tell your parents that you need to grow up and learn how to handle yourself independently, at least for the first year of university (as you can always transfer schools/programs afterward). Tell them about the unique opportunities that your program may offer (though this one is hard to pull off as undergrad is the same almost everywhere). But, really, it comes down to finances. If you want to live on your own then be prepared to take out student loans and not depend on your parents to financially support you anymore. I strongly believe that going against my parents' wishes, taking out student loans, and moving away from home really impacted my growth and maturity as a person. Five years later, I'm now in professional school and have earned the respect and admiration of my parents for doing that and succeeding along the way. Some people may gain this sort of independence and world knowledge even while living at home, but chances are that if you're on this forum then you're not the typical high schooler with full freedom to do whatever you want from your parents. This is especially important for students who are sheltered, who have a high dependency on their parents, who have a large family and cannot study at home, who face mental, physical, and emotional abuse at home, and so on. Everyone's reasons are different. Figure out what yours are and act on it. You're now becoming a full-fledged adult and nobody can keep you locked up in the house or force you to stay at home. Those that do, didn't really want to move away from home and leave the financial security of their parents. 

ajith_thiy540603

uThink Member

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Apply only to universities where it's impossible for you to live at home (ie if you're GTA then Waterloo/Laurier should be the closest you go)

samheadrick2703149

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service