Question

Campus Buildings and Amenities

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:00 am

Will my grade 11 pre-calc mark screw me over?

I want to go into economics and I'm starting to become concerned, in pre-calc 11 I finished with a 77. I want to point out that it was not my fault for getting that mark, my teacher just hated me and marked me very badly (never below a 90 in math before that class). I'm in pre-calc 12 right now and I'm confident that I can Get at least a 90. Will universities look at that math mark and deny me even though my overall average in grade 11 was 91% (including that grade)?

Asked by shelbir012796243

uThink Member

6 answers

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:00 am

Lol, you're just fabricating a laundry list of excuses for yourself at this point in order to make yourself feel better. Math has nothing to do with the teacher. You could've stabbed your teacher's son in the back and she would still have to give you a good grade if you ace the tests because there is zero room for subjectivity in math. A correct answer will always remain correct regardless of any external factors. Maybe try putting your face into a book instead of Facebooking on your phone during class and you might learn something.

hello1476210

uThink Member

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:00 am

^

It sounds like you got a good teacher who isn't spoonfeeding his or her class. Do you think math gets any easier in university? Gr.9 and 10 math is a joke compared to Gr.11, so how is it a surprise to you that so many students' marks dropped given the big jump? As the person above mentioned, there is only a right or wrong answer in math. This isn't an English course where a teacher can subjectively grade you on an essay. If your mark dropped, it's simply because you did not understand the concepts well and perform on the tests. Math will continually get challenging with each year, and if you're taking any math courses in university, then having a difficult math teacher in high school is crucial to prepare you to handle it.Don't blame your teacher for class marks dropping, because this excuse won't fly in university when you perform poorly in class and get placed on academic probation or kicked out of your program altogether. Your teacher is simply preparing you for university, which is fair and doesn't mean that the teacher hates his or her students.I took a few economics courses in first and second year university. Economics is a math-heavy program and not for people who find math challenging. Upper year economics is all econometrics and advanced calculus. Even math majors in university find econ courses difficult.  So I would see how Gr.12 math plays out for you, but if you don't perform as well as you hoped you would, then it's time to be honest with yourself about your math capabilities and find another program to go into.

tim_eragon3028597

uThink Member

The simple answer to your question is no, you will not be penalized for having a low mark in a grade 11 subject. While early admissions may look at your grade 11 marks, you can not be rejected because of them. Regular admissions decisions will be based strictly on your grade 12 marks.

gwnorth431435107

uThink Member

Cool thanks man makes me feel better!

shelbir012796243

uThink Member

It's always hard to explain a situation to a stranger over the internet but I'll try my best. Every single person in my class dropped at least 6% compared to their grade 10 math class mark. Compared to the other teachers who taught that course, her overall class marks are, on average, at least 8% lower than the others. The highest mark in my class ended up being an 88%, this kid got a 98% the year previous. But thanks for the insight, even though you're an ass :)

shelbir012796243

uThink Member

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:00 am

Actually, UBC is taking into account grade 11 grades more so than previous years if you're interested in going there. And they do look at math more than other courses if you're going in to a math related field. I don't think it will kill you though.By the way, a 6 percent average mark drop in grade 11 math is to be expected. In my class, half the class dropped it by the end of the year, and the rest (including me) had mark drops. My mark dropped 6 percent to an 87, but to be honest it has to do with not staying on top of the material. 

nathanclarabie2363048

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service