Question

Books and Literature

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:00 am

Desktop, netbook, or laptop?

I'm going to be buying a laptop for sure but I'm still debating whether or not to bring my desktop. I am a bit paranoid about theft especially since I'm going for a double room but at the very least, I'll bring my 24" monitor for movies =)

Asked by ask701957

uThink Member

23 answers

if you are thinking of buying a new laptop for uni, i suggest you wait until after 1/2way through 1st year before you make a wrong decision. your classmates can give you good suggestions, and you will know your needs once you know what you really need. uni is a big change, so if you made the wrong purchase... well that sucks.

classic.melody1005136

uThink Member

Personally, I think a desktop at home is the way to go. I thought I would need a laptop or netbook for college but it turns out I'm doing fine without one. It really depends on what you take and how your instructor teaches. A laptop or netbook is handy though... convenient for taking notes and searching up school stuff but a bad idea if you're likely to get distracted.

pdubb0818x2490951

uThink Member

@aimango wroteif you are thinking of buying a new laptop for uni, i suggest you wait until after 1/2way through 1st year before you make a wrong decision. your classmates can give you good suggestions, and you will know your needs once you know what you really need. uni is a big change, so if you made the wrong purchase... well that sucks.

Or else, you could do all that before your first semester starts. Most people's habits and study strategies don't drastically change. You should know what you'll need before you start.

bpjdear826556

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service