Question

Books and Literature

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:00 am

Carleton vs Ryerson for Game Design path

I got accepted to both, but not sure which one's better for what I want to do.

Carleton:
- Has an actual game design course
- Heard from one comment that its first year course was very simple because many going into it lack a programming base--I don't know whether this is a good thing (assuming it's true) to give me less stress, or a bad thing because I wouldn't really be learning anything
- I'd have to spend more money on residence

Ryerson:
- Has a computer science course, of which I heard (from one comment) that the game development field would rather take someone with a pure CompSci path?
- Heard it was very hard?
- No need for residence

Anyone went to either school who can tell me what those courses are like there? I don't care about school spirit or whatever either--just course difficulty, enjoyment factor, outlook, etc, and maybe a confirmation to either of those comments I've heard things from.

Asked by hjklqw1489800

uThink Member

6 answers

From my experience, it can be painful to sit through things that you already know. I would go for Ryerson. Plus, then you're saving the money you would be spending on residence. I'm not from Ontario, so maybe I haven't heard anything about Ryerson's difficulty. I was under the impression that it was manageable, though.

bpjdear826556

uThink Member

Still waiting to see whether the simplicity is a myth or not, but thanks! I didn't exactly get in with great marks so I'm not sure if 'manageable' to the average person would be problematic for me...expenses are a big factor to consider too though, hm. I guess the biggest thing I'm waiting to hear about is whether or not it's a 'fun' course.

hjklqw1489800

uThink Member

Go to UW for CS. It offers you the most flexibility - who knows if you'll want to do game design 5 years down the road once you truely experience it. You could find something else you really like in the CS field. Also, you can have access to co-op which is great.

If you're set on Carleton vs Ryerson, I'd pick Ryerson. I looked into Carleton but was not impressed by them at all.

noxx982424040

uThink Member

I've applied to UW but haven't gotten a reply yet--and everyone is telling me that it's incredibly hard there. Do you have any first hand experiences with the residences there?

What were the unimpressive points about Carleton?

hjklqw1489800

uThink Member

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:00 am

I also recommend going to Waterloo if you can. Bill Gates (meaning Microsoft Games Studios) says he hires more people out of there than anywhere else and while you probably already know that, it's an opportunity you really should not pass up.

hogg_robert1495920

uThink Member

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:00 am

@qwert wroteI've applied to UW but haven't gotten a reply yet--and everyone is telling me that it's incredibly hard there. Do you have any first hand experiences with the residences there?

What were the unimpressive points about Carleton?
I've heard no real complaints about their residences from friends there.

Yes UW is hard. But you need to work to be successful. You learn so much more. CS 135/136 at UW is a great learning experience for anyone, even if you have taken CS in high school. Waterloo is world renown for its CS program for a reason.

I didn't really like the conversations I had with some of the profs, the rez's were incredibly dark, and I wasn't really digging the buildings as a whole either.

Make sure you visit all of the campuses, talk to profs, and people in the program - find out the one thats best for you!

noxx982424040

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service