Question

Books and Literature

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:00 am

Facebook group dillema

So there's a facebook group for my program and idk if I wanna be a part of it. Because sometimes meeting people from online is weird??? LOL but i dont wanna miss out on making friends because I assume thats why they are doing it. Do you think it would help or dis help in my uni experience. I think it might be odd to meet people for the first time off social media but idk. Thoughts?

Asked by blahomelo801040

uThink Member

7 answers

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:00 am

^

Then, you may want to consider meeting people as a group. There is nothing wrong with setting up a meeting with a few people in your class together.

tim_eragon3028597

uThink Member

Definitely sounds like a high schooler to me. Good luck!

tim_eragon3028597

uThink Member

I never made friends from those Facebook groups lmao

rossanaleung08262649543

uThink Member

No, sometimes people are just different online then they are in person, and I have been in WAY to many of these situations where its just me talking and the other person is sitting there mute, its so uncomfortable, that's why I'm having doubts

blahomelo801040

uThink Member

I prefer cold approaching than social media, I agree on the awkwardness

blahomelo801040

uThink Member

It depends. My program only has around 300 students total, so being part of the Facebook group is almost necessary as important announcements and events are posted in it. It comes down to how much you value these relationships, because many of these people can become your future professional colleagues. You're going to have to become more comfortable with networking and interactions on social media, because I've connected with employers online (obviously not Facebook, but you get what I mean), and opportunities have been given to me based on my online profiles (Linkedin primarily). If this is an undergraduate program that has thousands of students, then it's not necessary to join the Facebook group. But, social media exists for a reason and it's a good way to keep in touch with people and seek out opportunities. We live in the digital age of information technology, and platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are vital parts of that. P.S. I messaged some of my classmates in the Facebook group prior to meeting them, and we arranged a time to meet up for drinks and got to know one another. I don't see what the big deal is. Do you have things on your Facebook that you wish to keep private and hidden away?

tim_eragon3028597

uThink Member

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:11 pm

house removals

saeed20

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service