Question

Admissions and Applications

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:21 am

Uottawa and Mcmaster nursing (help me pls

Hi!, hopefully, any current students or applicants can help me out!

1)My grade 11 average was not the best (86%), I did English grade 12( i finished with an 82), functions 12 ( finished with a 92%) and chemistry12 (finished with 87%) over the summer, I had data(finished with a 92%) and drama uni(finished with a 97%) in the first quadmaster so I believe that makes my current grade 12 average as of now a 90%, (I have biology 12 right now) any chances of me getting in or hearing back from uottawa anytime soon?

2)I heard that uottawa last week accepted people with high 90's, is this the only round of early acceptances? or does early acceptance run through dec-January? (I'm really confused:/) I know McMasters doesn't get back to people until May

3) I also applied to western but their school environment is not as diverse and from what I've been told makes POC feel uncomfortable and out of place, which I don't really want to deal with. is Uottawa or McMaster like this as well?

4)Which school is better (McMasters or Uottawa)? whats the positives and the negative of both schools. The only thing I do know of is Uottawa's wide range of clincals, I heard they have a lot of options, and I'm not too sure what the PBL for Mcmaster but I've heard both positive and negative things.

5) Also does anyone think I should apply to more schools to stay on the safe side? I applied only to the main campus sites for all three schools, except uottawa, I applied to their Algonquin stream just incase. I'm leaning more towards Uottawa because it's further away from where I live right now but if I do get into McMasters(hopefully!) it's between those two schools!

Thank you if anyone responds I know it's a lot!

Asked by rainstarbl17

uThink Member

3 answers

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:53 am

Where do you want to work? Nursing schools set up students with clinicals in the area, so it's ideal to attend school in the region you want to work in to get your foot in the door. Western has 30,000+ students so I really would not concern yourself with any rumours about a lack of diversity. Sure, it's not U of T or York, but you'll find other BIPOC there. McMaster is also quite diverse though Hamilton is depressing and the Mac campus can be lonely as it is boxed off and there is not much to do outside of campus. Ottawa is a commuter school but there are more things to do in Ottawa. It really comes down to where you think you want to live for the next 4 or 5 years of your life. I would just attend a school in the city you want to work in because then you'll make connections with local hospitals. Where you go for nursing won't matter to anyone that matters, only your connections and experience.

Eragon

uThink Member

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm

1) acceptances can be sent out until may so chill
2) early acceptance doesnt matter so chill
3) ur gonna be taking care of patients from all sorts of backgrounds so get used to it now and chill
4) mac uses problem based learning, not sure if ur into that and mac is competitive in terms of clinical placements so if ur marks are good u'll get what u want. and stop being stressed about picking schools when u havent even gotten in yet, like chill.
5) up to u, only cost is money

heresmytwocentss

uThink Member

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:49 pm

1. The cut off for nursing at uOttawa's main campus over the past few years have been 91+, although this year is quite unpredictable so it could either go up or down. You will definitely get into the Algonquin site.

2. Early acceptance truly does not matter but some people have gotten offers with 91-92+ averages I believe.

mar14

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service