Question

School Comparisons and Reviews

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:00 am

Questions regarding grade 12, summer school, and admission process

1) I found grade 12 physics more of a struggle than grade 11. The first two units of grade 12 (forces and energy) are essentially building on and reviewing what you learned in grade 11. The material isn't too difficult but the problem is even if you understand it it's really easy to choke on the test because they're long and often overwhelming. But it really depends on your school and teacher and it's possible to do really well in the course so I wouldn't worry too much! The other units like optics and electromagnetism are new concepts and really different which sometimes throws people off guard but they're not hard to grasp as long as you pay attention and unfortunately do the homework lol. As a general rule of thumb though, I'd suggest not to do grade 12 physics unless you got an 85% or higher in grade 11 but it obviously depends on the individual and how they learn and feel about the course. If you enjoy physics take it! 2) Chemistry gets harder too. I found that it didn't tie to grade 11 as much as I thought it would. It kind of felt like I was starting chemistry from scratch again so getting a high mark in grade 11 didn't guarantee one in grade 12. To put it in perspective I fell from a 98% in grade 11 to a 93% in grade 12 and though I had a hard teacher I really had to work for that grade. A lot of my friends hated this course and found it the most stressful of the three sciences but I still really enjoyed the material taught! I think the reason a lot of people struggled to get 80s and 90s is because they tried to memorize the material. Chemistry is not like Biology. You can't just memorize processes. You have to understand the bigger picture and get a good feel of the concepts to get those top marks rather than just going through the motions of the questions. If you take the time to understand it and read through the textbook then you'll find the tests a lot more manageable and the material far more interesting! Congrats on going into your senior year and good luck!!

Asked by carissadem902433

uThink Member

29 answers

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:00 am

I am so scared for writing the AIF, like what if you haven't done something so extra ordinary, I mean I have only done the usual stuff in HS, like I really hope my AIF and marks turn out good :$$ I have got to be the biggest UW engineering fangirl. UGH

kimj279721872222

uThink Member

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:00 am

Thank you :)

kushalshah991925062

uThink Member

OP it does not include the AIF, it's just your top 6. Another good admission resource is Prof Bill Anderson. He made this graph of admission averages: https://profbillanderson.wordpress.com/ ... -for-2016/

vvmagic133133336

uThink Member

Hey Veronica!You know the chart of admission averages they post for engineering, are those percents including AIF + 6 credits course or simply the 6 credit marks?https://uwaterloo.ca/engineering/future ... n-averages

kushalshah991925062

uThink Member

The AIF is as much about writing style and communication as it is about what you've done. Lets be realistic - most people aren't 100% truthful about their activities. I might've done pretty much everything I spoke about, but my "2 hour weekly commitments" were probably like 1 hour. That being said, I had pretty much zero ECs prior to entering grade 12 so I started a club, joined another club, and did volunteering in grade 12. Just those plus my ongoing involvement in learning visual arts was enough to score well above average on the AIF. I suspect I did pretty well on the written engineering section, though. Not sure if going to events is at all helpful towards your application, but if you do genuinely have an interest in the programs, its very valuable to speak to a current student. I didn't attend any open houses or events in high school but I've started volunteering for them in university and I feel like it offers a lot. Good luck!

jeff1751623185

uThink Member

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:00 am

Unless they changed it, I believe they just have a section to fill out extra-curriculars with a date tab, so you can choose the specific length of the activity (e.g. Jun 2015 - Jan 2016, etc.). I think its best to list the main ones that you put a lot of effort in, and those are related to your program (e.g. hackathons look good for software, robotics for ECE, etc.). Also, try to list only ones that you did in high school (don't go beyond grade 9 obviously) with the most emphasis on grade 11 and grade 12 activities, as they are the most recent.

dharmitp1150664

uThink Member

For the AIF are we only allowed to write about the clubs we joined in Grade 12 or can we also talk about the clubs we joined in Grade 11 as well?

lolabenaya2040263

uThink Member

So does Waterloo penalize for summer courses only if there is a drastic difference in your grade 11, and grade 12 mark or if you do not have a valid reason for providing a reason for taking summer school/elearning, or both?

kushalshah991925062

uThink Member

Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:42 am

Hi guys. Here is my first written article <a href= "https://studentmatrix.ca/threads/50-mos ... esults.65/"> 50 most popular women</a>. Kindly like and share.

glorianino

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service