Question

School Comparisons and Reviews

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:00 am

What is a good laptop for uni?

I currently have an acer aspire and its like always glitching up and its become slow but it still fully functions. Once it shut down on me and almost lost all my work but other than that its ok. I've had it 2-3 years now and if I want I could use it to its fully capacity and wait another 2 years. Should I keep it? Or should I invest in a new one? what are good laptops?Macs? HP?

Asked by riatgurjot182612638

uThink Member

21 answers

K ya no to the first poster. My brothers at Ivey and within the first week he was looking for a new laptop because his courses needed certain programs. He got a dell and likes it, but just go to a Best Buy and talk to the workers they’re so helpful (don’t go directly to Apple they’ll only tell u about macs lol)

I have a MacBook and it works great for me (I'm an accounting major). I've tried Acer, Toshiba, Dell, and HP. None of them lasted me more than 16 months and I hardly did anything on them. Those things came out of the box running slower than my friend's 3 year old MacBook. I don't know why someone above said you don't need a laptop. I do lots of quizzes and hand in assignments exclusively online. In addition to that I need spreadsheets for my work which is something I do on my laptop. Unless you'd like to stay in the library every night until 10pm I'd suggest purchasing a laptop. 

ana_f61621998

uThink Member

What program are you in/ going into?

erikalindsay121278964

uThink Member

My budget is $1500 I'd prefer to be under $1000 and the processor my laptop runs is intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3700 @1.60GHZ

riatgurjot182612638

uThink Member

Using HP Spectre x360 rn, pretty good machine.

junaid.h551754351

uThink Member

Which macbook and where did you get it from and how much? I don't mind getting an old MacBook like 2 years old at the max, as long as they're guaranteed to work fast and last long.Yeah I know what you mean, in my accounting class we are expected to have laptops and Im in grade 12.

riatgurjot182612638

uThink Member

okay, i would recommend going on this website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/education it's the microsoft education website where students get discounts on laptops, surfaces, 2in1s etc... look for a processor with at least an i3, based on your budget you could get an i5. dell and lenovo are very good brands.

erikalindsay121278964

uThink Member

what is your budget, and what processor (i3, i5, pentium, celeron, etc...) does your current laptop run if you know?

erikalindsay121278964

uThink Member

Commerce

riatgurjot182612638

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service