Question

School Comparisons and Reviews

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:00 am

Will I still make university and become a doctor with my grades?

If you can do a lot better in grade 12, it is definitely possible. You just have to put in a lot of time and effort. Make sure this is something you want to go through with doing and take seriously. If so, then set that 98 average goal for yourself, manage your time effectively and do your best.

Asked by ria662612203

uThink Member

17 answers

An 86 in bio is perfectly fine and I know people in med school who were mid 80s students in high school. However, OP should definitely find a different career path because their marks in chemistry, physics, and english are very average, and given the fact that grades in university tend to drop for most people while staying steady for some, this will not get her/him into medical school. Now this is honest advice. Stop calling 16 year old kids asking for education advice "bums" if you want to be taken seriously.  OP is asking a perfectly reasonable question and just wants some help here.DavidWestern JD, Ivey HBA/BMSc

tim_eragon3028597

uThink Member

To the second anon, I told Steve that high school does not predict if you will go to med school or not. There is countless of variables that can deviate or bring you closer to your goals.

nokour3112418225

uThink Member

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:00 am

Finally!

nokour3112418225

uThink Member

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:00 am

Steven, hop on over to http://forums.premed101.com.Now, here is some real advice from a university student. To become a doctor, you need to get into medical school. To get into medical school, you need high grades in undergraduate university (in ANY PROGRAM). You also need a good MCAT score for most Canadian medical schools (some do not require the MCAT). You do not need a science degree to go to medical school, however there are high school and first year science and math concepts on the MCAT. In addition, if you are having difficulty with high school level math and sciences, then you would only face more struggles in university. High school grades don't matter at all. No, you don't need a 90, 95, or 100. HOWEVER, your marks in CORE COURSES demonstrate a lack of fundamental understanding and depth in your learning. You have a 75 in English and verbal reasoning and the ability to communicate and articulate your arguments in written and verbal form is a HUGE PART of both the MCAT and medical school interview process. There is biology, physics, and chemistry on the MCAT, and in medical school. There is arithmetic on the MCAT. If you are barely getting 70s and low 80s in high school English, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, then you need to be realistic with your expectations and realize that you will probably not get into medical school - simply because these subjects become harder in university and you're struggling with understanding the very basic concepts in high school, to the level of excellence required of future medical students. If you are still interested in science and health-related careers, then I recommend looking into dietetics, food and nutrition, public health and safety, medical laboratory technology, nursing, agricultural sciences, toxicology, biotechnology, paramedicine, etc. - any career that you can go into with a basic undergraduate degree or master's degree and does not require medical school, dental school, pharmacy school, or optometry school level of excellence and grades. Since you appear to be good at math, I also recommend looking into business careers as there are a ton of jobs and you could be working and making money from a young age. English, Chemistry, and Physics appear to be your weakest subjects thus far, so the best thing would be to limit going into careers that require an extensive knowledge of the latter two subject matters. (English is important as you are in an English-speaking country, so you should brush up on this even though you may not get into law school or write a novel). DavidWestern JD, Ivey HBA/BMSc

tim_eragon3028597

uThink Member

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:00 am

Okay, so lots of toxicity on this thread, smh. So u didn't do that well in gr. 11, that's okay Steven, it'snot the end of the world, that just means that you are going to need to fundamentally change up your study habits and lifestyle if you want to achieve that 95+ avg. I'd say use this summer to research into great study techniques and try to eliminate the distractions from your life (games, social media, etc.). Personally that's what I did and it significantly improved my marks from grade 11 to grade 12.Chem 88-->91Bio 87-->94Physics 82-->97Its all up to you Steven, if you truly desire success you've got to show it through your work ethic and hard work. At the end of the day you're only 16/17 as of now and you have time to change but make sure you make most of that time and stay focused :) GL!!

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:43 pm

I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. https://royalcbd.com/cbd-oil-without-thc/

jamsebond

uThink Member

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:04 am

i know this response is like a year and a half late. just hearing some jackass say "esketit" was enough for me to realise that the comment was old. You're probably either in university or a dropout by now but whatever maybe my comment will somewhat help someone else. lol that rhymes. To become a doctor, one has to be smart, able to study for long periods of time, and get good grades. I'm in grade 9 and I never study for anything. I do my homework and assignments, yes, but I never sit down and try to memorise concepts for science. I can easily learn them all during class time. I want to become a doctor, too, and I worry if I'm smart enough. The average doctor has an IQ of 125, while the average for society is 100. 108 if you're chinese, and much much less if you come from a poor country. Ask yourself if you are exceptionally intelligent. Were you known as one of the smartest kids in middle and high school. If you have what it takes to become a doctor, then you're smart. And if you're smart, then people will be able to tell that. If a smart person were to do no homework, no studying, and almost no effort on projects they would probably get low to high 80s. If you don't have what it takes, don't even bother to become a doctor... in Canada. In some third world countries, if you get accepted to the med program, then you will become a doctor for sure. Almost no one doesn't become a doctor in those countries. One of my family members is a doctor. And they aren't extremely intelligent. They probably have an IQ around 107/108-115. If you want, you can go back to your home country if you're an immigrant and get a degree from there, and then come back to Canada. I don't mean to be racist or anything I'm an immigrant too. If you don't think you can get accepted into med school then there are 2 options for you. A) become an engineer or an accountant or a finance person or something that requires less intelligence. B) Instead of getting into med school, try to get a phd in the field that you majored in for your b.sc. If you majored in Biochemistry or Biology, then get a phd in that and become a professor or something. Most professors in Ryerson and Uft (you can check their salaries out at ontariosunshinelist.com) make around 110k at the beginning. and their pay increases around 10k each year until 200-240k. Good luck to the people who are reading this in high school right now, and to the OP I hope you're getting a b.sc right now.

bobi

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service