Question

School Comparisons and Reviews

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 am

Medicine Program

I was wondering what programs do you have to take in order finally complete a Doctor of Medicine degree? In other words, I am confused as to what programs lead to an MD degree starting from undergrad.

Asked by stayezeey2894307

uThink Member

6 answers

Literally anything. It doesn't matter what undergrad program you do as long as you get the prereqs for the med school.

sophiajade09012866467

uThink Member

The MD degree is a second entry degree in North America. You will first need to complete an undergraduate degree in whatever field you want before you can begin a MD degree. Most Ontario medical schools will allow students to begin after their third year if students went to a Canadian university for those three years. The only exception to this path is the QuARMS program at Queen's that you apply to in high school and are accepted to Queen's medical school on the condition that you do two years of premed studies at Queen's.

hpi754101507249

uThink Member

Hey, you and me are both in the same boat! I was honestly really confused about this as well but I've done my research and the short answer is: Universities do not require any particular undergrad degree. After a minimum of three years in ANY undergrad you can apply to Med school.Now here's the long answer: Even though you may have got a Bachelor's in Art for example, you still need to get the prerequisite courses needed for Med School. These requirements will definitely be on the university's website. Just google search -  "University's name med school requirements". And you should find all the info you need about what courses that are required/recommended along with extra requirements such as MCAT, GPA, health care experience, references, etc. It would help if you do an undergrad in a life science because it will be much easier to attain all those prerequisites. For example if I do want to become a doctor (MD) I would do four years in Biochemistry, making sure I get my prerequisites, volunteering over the summer, doing the MCAT, and apply for Med School. However, you need to keep in mind that med school prefers all rounded applicants. And if you look at the prerequisites at U of T for example it says, "Two full-course equivalents (FCEs) in life sciences and one FCE in a social science, humanities or language"So not all your courses are going to be science based. To be all rounded make sure you participate in clubs, activities, events, or volunteering. Honestly you can enroll in any undergrad program you like. Just make sure you enjoy it so that you can achieve a high GPA. I hope I somewhat helped and here are some links down below for you to check out: https://www.kaptest.com/study/mcat/how- ... cal-school

priscillaprakash2538132

uThink Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:00 am

Aren't you that kid who asked if you need to go to medical school to become a physiotherapist? Kid, if you can't even do a simple 2 minutes google search, how in the heck are you going to become a doctor or physiotherapist? Do some research first, then come back and ask some educated and informed questions.

tim_eragon3028597

uThink Member

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:35 am

Medicine students, can you consult me? I'm thinking of trying various smokable herbs. I understand that it's still not the best habit but maybe it's better than common cigarettes. What are your thoughts on it? I just really like the conception of smoking a blue lotus. It even sounds safe and beautiful.

NobelCat

uThink Member

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:13 pm

hormone therapy usually involves taking medications that prevent cancer cells from getting the hormones they need to grow. I periodically apply and do IV therapy in Scottsdale to make sure that I am all right and can fully exercise

Andrew4ik

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service