Question

Travelling While In First Year University

I notice that I almost always post about random, complicated, and probably stupid things. This one is no exception but I figure it'll be interesting to see what people think.

I'm going away to university in a couple weeks and for the first time I'll be living away from home (in residence though). I know that everyone says that you're on your own and you can make your own decisions, but I still feel like I'll be tethered to my over-bearing parents. At least, they're over-bearing when I'm not doing what they want.

And here's the thing. I want to go visit a friend in Newfoundland. Being that I'll be in Ontario, that's a bit of a distance. I have the funds for it (since I've been saving for this for a while) and I have the time (planning on using reading week in February). I know for sure that my parents will be entirely against it because they don't want me doing anything they don't approve and needless to say they don't approve of my going there. I don't care though, since I'm an adult now I can do what I want....right?

That's what I want to know your opinion on. Is it really that stupid to take a little trip there during the school year if I have the perfect opportunity? I wouldn't be missing anything other than one of too many trips home. I don't know, I'm just afraid of the lengths they'll go to to stop me.

Yes, I'm worried about my parents. -.-

Asked by laurenharby1963239

uThink Member

4 answers

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:00 am

Do it. Your parents are powerless to stop you once you're an adult.

mar.darwin2119259

uThink Member

I say go for it. Your money, and you're an adult now, so go! It would be a wonderful opportunity. Assuming you're 18, your parents are no longer your legal guardians, they cannot stop you from doing what you want. The only threat they will have is that they are paying for your university, but if you can get good marks and the trip doesn't impact your marks, i see no reason why it would be a problem.

chatmike0955896

uThink Member

It's your money and your time. Go for it. A lot of people travel during Reading Week - they go back home, they go to beaches down South, etc.

ask701957

uThink Member

Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:54 pm

See no problem in that either :) I believe that the only restriction at present is not your studying but pandemic around. 2 years ago my cousin who was then in her 3rd year managed to head off to the North Pole via https://poseidonexpeditions.com/ to see the Northern Lights and have some rest from the crowds of people at university :)

John Murdock

Acme School (Acme)

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service