Question

Food, Cooking and Nutrition

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:00 am

first year course change

So...
Im a grade 12 student and have applied to engineering in U of T and waterloo.
I am fairly certain I can get in as I have a 98% average and very good supplemental.
But my main question is:
For example, I put my first choice as engineering science, second mechanical, third electric and fourth computer, when I get my acceptance into engineering science say in April, will I at that time be able to switch my course to one of my other choices, or am i stuck with engineering science?
Also if I go into, say computer engineering for my first year, would I be able to easily change, and adapt to the course for some other type of engineering, or are the first years course completely different from each other?
What would be the best first year specilization, that will easily allow me to switch to the other specilizations if need be for second year?
Thanks

Asked by amotekalem615050

uThink Member

4 answers

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 am

At U of T, EngSci students cans witch out into any engineering program at any point in the year I'm pretty sure. Basically, if you get accepted to EngSci, you can go to school in September, and just say you want to drop out into ___________, and they will switch you out that day, before school even starts pretty much. You could also e-mail the school around the time you get your acceptance, but basically in the end you can switch out into anything you want.
As for UW, you can switch over the summer if you e-mail the faculty of engineering, but there are no guarantees. My friend got accepted to electrical engineering at Waterloo, then asked to be switched to Civil over the summer and she got switched, although there is no guarantee.
MOST first-year engineering programs are similar, but they all differ by 1-2 courses. ECE and SE will generally have harder calc/physics/programming courses, so it'd probably be harder to switch into those. Mech/civ/geo/enve/mgmt/tron have almost identical first years except 1 or 2 courses, which are usually in the second term. For example, civ/mech/geo/chem/enve/mgmt had exactly the same curriculum in 1A, besides the concepts course specific to that field. Second term is also almost the same, with only 1 or 2 courses being different out of 5 or 6.

albert_lgxt_87551910

uThink Member

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 am

@12345abcde wroteAt U of T, EngSci students cans witch out into any engineering program at any point in the year I'm pretty sure. Actually no, a friend of mine wants to switch out of EngSci right now but he needs to wait until 2nd year until you are actually put into the courses for your specific engineering programs. Until then, you are stuck with EngSci courses.

allenh0728580400

uThink Member

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:00 am

@Serllen wrote@12345abcde wroteAt U of T, EngSci students cans witch out into any engineering program at any point in the year I'm pretty sure. Actually no, a friend of mine wants to switch out of EngSci right now but he needs to wait until 2nd year until you are actually put into the courses for your specific engineering programs. Until then, you are stuck with EngSci courses.
Well, in that case I'm pretty sure EngSci's can switch out either right when school starts in September, or something like 3 weeks in. Unless they changed the rules of course. I was looking into EngSci last year and had the exact same concern as OP did, and I remember reading on the U of T website about this, just can't find it for some reason...

albert_lgxt_87551910

uThink Member

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:00 am

Here: http://www.undergrad.engineering.utoron ... 2-2013.pdf
At the bottom (Appendix) it says that EngSci's can switch into any Core 8 program until September 21 (first few weeks like I said above). If your average in EngSci is >60%, you can switch into any Core 8 program after first term, and there are a few more conditions like if your average is between 55 and 60, etc.

albert_lgxt_87551910

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service