Question

Events and Concerts

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 am

McMaster Social Science HELP

Hey everyone I am a current grade 12 and just found out today that I got accepted to McMasters Social Science program, Ive also applied for two more in life science and medical radiation science. I have an average in the high 80s so I was not too worried about getting in but it is not my first choice among the three. Can anyone with experience tell me how is the program is realistically, the work load, the people is it really considered some what easy, and does any one know how their health studies major is? And also just for fun, what are you planning on presuing with this degree. Thank bye, M

Asked by madinas20002092171

uThink Member

1 answer

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 am

I did my first year at Mac social sciences before transferring to another institution. I'm currently pursuing my masters in public policy at the University of Toronto.The workload in a social science program is pretty relaxed. You'll have maybe 15 hours of class a week. The bulk of your grades come from essays and exams. The workload is extremely easy in comparison to your peers in science and engineering programs. At Mac, it becomes obvious that the BA and BComm students have a lot of free time on their hands, and they party pretty hard. However, while the workload is easy the grading is not. Class averages for the first year were C's (which I believe is standard across most Canadian universities). I don't know much about their health studies major, but given the fact that Mac is a science school it must be a decent enough program. I took their Health & Aging course which was interesting. I don't think Mac is a good school for social science and humanities, because they pool most of their resources into sciences, engineering, and the medical school. Course and major options are rather limited in comparison to other schools like U of T, York, Western, and McGill. While it does not matter at all where you do your BA, it may be something you want to consider. Lastly, I would be very careful about pursuing an arts degree if you don't plan on going to law school, becoming a teacher (brutal job market for this field), or doing a masters in public policy. The employment prospects with BA degrees today are not good. 

tim_eragon3028597

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service