Question

Essay and Thesis Writing

Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:34 am

Terrible grade 11 marks in a semestered school, what to do?

Maths used to be my best subject until this pandemic, now my mark is only 80% in Functions. I also have University Chemistry in this quad and am getting a similar mark. Taking online school is the worst mistake I made. My teachers told me Grade 11 are important as my home school is semestered so I wouldn't be done with all my Grade 12 courses in time for university admissions deadline. I'm also an year behind because I moved here from a different country during high school, but I'm still a Canadian citizen as I born here (not raised), so it looks even worse as universities will assume I was held back a grade and did all my schooling here. I was hoping to apply for the competitive programs here but now all my dreams and aspirations are crushed :/ What do I do?

Asked by Gamma

uThink Member

2 answers

Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:34 am

Dude, this is only gr. 11 so it doesn't matter. Plus, how is getting an A- considered bad these days? Sure, it's not going to get you into a top math program at Waterloo or anything, but you still have a bunch of other options with those types of grades. You can redeem yourself in gr. 12, but even if you don't, it's not the end of the world. You can go to a second-rate school and still make a respectable living, you do realize that, right?

hello1476210

uThink Member

Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:31 pm

Your teachers aren't exactly right. While it is true that some schools/programs do make early admission offers on the basis of a combination of grade 11 and grade 12 marks, you won't be denied admission due to your grade 11 marks. In the final round of admission offers (May) the only marks that matter are final marks for completed grade 12 courses (first semester or fast tracked) and second semester mid-term marks. If you are an Ontario student they will be looking for program prerequisites (grade 12) and then your next top 4 U/M courses for a total of 6. Depending on how many and what grade 12 courses you take not even all of your grade 12 marks maybe relevant. Having said that grade 11 is very important for getting a strong foundation in the relevant courses for the programs you want to apply to as grade 12 is just going to build from there.

gwnorth431435107

uThink Member

Real advice from real students.

Got a question about student life? From program comparisons to admission
requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students.

Ask your question
close report dialogue

Please tell us why you think this content breaks the forum rules.

Notify me

Would you like to be informed when your report is processed?

Further information

You can tell us more about the content you think breaks the rules.

What’s your question?

For example: High school, graduation, grades. Choose from the dropdown list

I agree to the terms of service